Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Lone Monk: So much for Family Peace

Five story pagoda

"I wish you and your family much peace," said the burgundy-robed monk  as he approached me outside of the temple grounds.

The Eternal Flame from Nagasaki
















A number of beautiful worship complexes lie within the Ueno City Park, home also to the Ueno Zoo and scores of other museums and shrines, including the eternal flame from Nagasaki where I had just spent a few quiet and weepy moments.

Ueno City Park main thoroughfare.
Along with his murmured blessings for familial peace, the monk presented me with a small, flat,  gold, plastic medallion.  I took it, thinking that if it weren't so cheap and crappy looking, I could pass it off to someone as a gift.

Who am I to argue with a monk and who doesn't want family peace?  "What a lovely gesture,"  I thought.  "Here's real street ministry at its finest:  a nice young monk, fresh from a long morning of floor scrubbing and meditation, now out working the crowds in the park to bring peace on earth, one family at a time."

While these lofty ideas swarmed in my head, and just as I was warming up to thank him for his public ministry, a clip board and pen suddenly appeared from beneath his flowing robes.  "Write your name here," he directed, pointing to a sheet of paper with a matrix.  I obeyed.  He was, after all, a monk.  At least he was dressed like one.   Name, [Eileen] Country,[USA]  Blessing, [Peace] Donation [huh?!].  The line above me indicated that Matt,/USA,/Peace had donated 20,000 yen, or about $20. That amount and more generous denominations were neatly itemized in the final rows for everyone on the list.  My turn to ante up.


Trees are lovingly and beautifully maintained
So now I am faced with a pressing dilemma:  is this guy a shake down artist or is this a legitimate spiritual enterprise?   Here he was, wishing my family peace--though I am unaware of any turbulence.  And let the record reflect that I was holding a gold medallion, inarguably new to my possession.  Add to those concerns the possibility that he may have connections to the world of familial unrest.  And what is family peace worth?  What to do?

You know that feeling you get when someone you know and thought of as a friend, invites you over for an evening of what you think is going to be dinner and a dessert that will involve cream cheese and it turns out to be bowls of chips, iced tea and a pitch to join their multi-level marketing group?....

"I'm sorry," I lied to the monk.  "I have nothing to donate."  With that, he reassumed ownership of the clipboard, the pen and, with a practiced economy of motion,  the medallion.

Vindication!  If family unrest arises in the foreseeable future, at least I'll know who to blame.

Meanwhile, I wish you and your family peace.  --E
の平和を願っています。Watashi wa, anata no kazoku no heiwa o negatte imasu.



No comments:

Post a Comment